Scurried together relatively quickly, this is a heartening supper to be accompanied with a glass of red wine.
Fennel sausage w/ white beans & chard
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little extra
1 small onion, finely chopped
small pinch of dried oregano
4 cloves of garlic
scant tsp dried chilli flakes
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
half a tin of whole plum tomatoes drained of their juice
juice from half an unwaxed lemon
a large handful of chard, roughly chopped
1 tin of white cannellini beans
salt and pepper
stale bread, optional
Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized heavy casserole on the stove top.
- Add in the onions with the oregano, cinnamon, chilli flakes and then cook gently until the onion is just softened.
- Remove the skins from each sausage, and break into pieces.
- Add in the broken-up sausage pieces and continue to cook with the onions until the sausages just start to catch. Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute or so more.
- Add the tomatoes and bash them up a bit and as the mix all starts to appear ‘dry’ again add enough water that it comes an inch above the mix.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes before adding the beans.
- Stir in the chard and cook until relaxed.
- Season with salt and pepper and enough lemon juice to sharpen the soup.
- Spoon into bowls over stale bread and then complete with a good lick of olive oil and an enthusiastic grating of parmesan or pecorino.