Marrow bone canoes & crumbs
1 tsp fennel seeds
45g fresh breadcrumbs
zest and juice of a small unwaxed lemon
scant tsp of dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp baby capers
2 small cloves of garlic, grated
heavy grind of black pepper
35g lightly toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
15g fresh tarragon leaves, very finely chopped
flaked sea salt
1 unwaxed lemon
- Turn the oven on to 200°C.
- Place the fennel seeds into a wide frying pan and toast over a medium heat.
- Add the bread crumbs and dry fry until beginning to crisp.
- Grate in the lemon zest.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and stir it in.
- Evaporate the lemon juice completely. This will leave you with lightly soured crumbs.
- Add the oil, capers, chilli flakes, black pepper, and hazelnuts.
- Continue to stir constantly until all is very crisp and nicely coloured (this takes care, constant stirring and patience).
- Season well with sea salt and then cool.
- When cooled, mix through all the fresh herbs.
- Place the marrow bone canoes in a tray; if they wobble, steady them with a little scrunched-up tinfoil, and season lightly.
- Roast them for 8 minutes.
- Remove the marrow bones, and load each canoe heavily with the crumb mix and then return them to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Serve with a teaspoon and a lemon wedge.