If you are looking for something fun to do with salt beef, then you have come to the right place. This recipe is really straightforward and super satisfying. A couple of fried eggs and you have a perfect weekend brunch.
A piece of salt beef can go a long way, and this is a perfect little recipe for any leftover bits. Flake it all up and hard fry it with some potatoes and basically anything else you fancy. On this occasion, I went for leeks, pickled red onions, and chillies. I think the fried egg is fairly essential, I also like a little chilli sauce over the top — something fruity or acidic.
Salt beef hash
2 leeks, outer leaves removed, most of the green end removed, washed and very thinly sliced
500g new potatoes, boiled and crushed
1 red onion, peeled and sliced
½ a bunch of fresh chives, very finely chopped
4 organic eggs
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- To cook the salt beef:
- Remove the salt beef from its packaging and place in a pan of cold water.
- Bring the water up to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer, very gently for 1 ½ to 2 hours. The flesh should feel tender when inserting a small sharp knife.
- Remove from the heat and leave to sit for 20 minutes.
- Cut the salt beef in half and save one half for something else. You will only need about half of it for this recipe.
- Keep the cooking liquid as it makes a great broth.
- To make the hash:
- Place the red onion in a bowl and season with sea salt. Leave for 10 minutes, then add 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar.
- Set a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over a high heat and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Flake the piece of salt beef into smaller chunks and pieces.
- Once the oil in the pan begins to smoke, then carefully add the salt beef and the potatoes. Allow them to cook like this for 2 minutes If you are looking for something fun to do with salt beef, you’ve come to the right place. Add a couple of fried eggs, and you have a perfect weekend brunch. don’t be tempted to shake the pan.
- After 2 minutes, add the leeks and a pinch of sea salt, and then toss everything together. Then leave for another two minutes.
- Toss once more and then cook for another 5 minutes, tossing regularly.
- Add the chives, chilli, and red onion, and toss once more. Check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Fry the eggs in a frying pan, with oil.