Steak & onion pie
- Pie filling ingredients
3 fresh bay leaves
75g salted butter
glug of sunflower oil
egg cup of flour
220ml can of beer
glug of Worcester sauce
- Pastry ingredients
300g self raising flour
pinch of salt
100ml whole milk
1 organic egg
- Pie filling directions
- Season the meat.
- Heat the oil in a casserole pan and brown the meat, remove from the pan using a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan add sliced onions and gently cook without browning for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir, picking any stuck-on ‘gubbins’ as you go. Do this for a minute.
- Add the beef back to the pan along with any priceless juices.
- Add the beer stirring as you go.
- Let everything bubble for a minute then add the water and Worcestershire sauce. keep stirring allow to boil.
- Pastry directions
- Mix the ingredients and let the pastry rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to ½ cm thick.
- Brush the edge of the pie dish with a little beaten egg then cover with the pastry.
- Brush the surface all over with more egg. Make a little hole for steam to escape.
- Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the pastry is golden and crisp.