150g stale white sourdough
600ml whole milk
1 small onion, peeled and halved
1 fresh bay leaf
5 black peppercorns
a scratch of nutmeg
25g salted butter
50ml double cream
flaked sea salt
- Blitz bread to breadcrumbs.
- Pour the milk into the pan.
- Stud one of the onion halves with the cloves and then lower both halves into the milk.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Scratch in a little nutmeg.
- Bring the milk to a slow simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the onion is totally soft and tender to the push of a knife.
- Drop in the bread and butter and cook for a further 10 minutes or so and stirring often.
- Take off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Fish out the bay leaf and a couple of the cloves, leaving all else in.
- Blitz until totally smooth and then return to pan.
- Stir in cream and season generously with salt.
- Heat when needed.
- This bread sauce freezes well.