What is chicken supreme?
Originating from France, chicken supreme is a chicken breast with the skin left on and the first joint of the wing attached, bone-in – the bone helps retain moisture during cooking, and the skin colours and crisps if cooked appropriately. The combination is delicious.
Chicken supreme makes for a lean and nutritious mid-week meal when you’re tight on time or a whole chicken isn’t possible. This versatile cut of chicken can be stuffed with a simple herb butter flavoured with tarragon, parsley, garlic and lemon zest, then wrapped in smoked streaky bacon for a standout dinner party dish, or simply seasoned, seared in a pan and then roasted in the oven for deliciously lean and nutritious simplicity, perhaps with the addition of a spring of rosemary and a quartered lemon.
Chicken supreme cooking time
Chicken supremes are best cooked pan fried and/or oven baked. Often a combination of both these methods works well, starting in a pan and transferring to the oven. For a thick and juicy chicken supreme, cooking time will be around 15-20 minutes.
How to cook a chicken supreme to perfection
- Remove your chicken supreme from the vacuum packaging and pat dry with kitchen paper. Allow it to reach room temperature.
- Pre-heat your pan or griddle over a medium high temperature.
- Season the supreme just prior to cooking with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add your chicken supreme to the pan skin-side down and let it cook and colour evenly. Do not move it around the pan. Around 4-5 minutes should be sufficient.
- Once it’s golden and crisp, turn the supreme onto the flesh side.
- Add a knob of butter to the pan and baste for a few seconds.
- Transfer to a preheated oven of 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/Gas 6 for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer the moist chicken breast to a plate.
- Allow the meat to rest for 6 minutes in a warm place before carving or serving whole.
Recipe for chicken supreme
There’s an indulgent yet nostalgic feel to this creamy chicken supreme with mashed potato and steamed green veggies. Perfect for an easy, family-friendly meal.
Buy your chicken supreme here and let us know what you thought of its depth of flavour.