Christmas just ain’t Christmas without it!
Cumberland sauce for a christmas ham
2 large oranges
1 unwaxed lemon
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
300ml ruby port
2 level tsp English mustard powder
6 black peppercorns
1 fresh bay leaf
thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled
4 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Cut the rind from the oranges and then cut the pith from the back with great care.
- Discard the pith and then slice the peel in a julienne and super thin. Go for ‘angels hair’ thickness.
- Do the same with the lemon.
- Put all the rind in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and then discard the water. This mellows the rind whilst also removing any wax.
- Squeeze the juice from all the citrus through a sieve (messy once peeled I know) over the rind.
- Stir in the mustard powder.
- Slice the ginger as fine as angels hair also and add it into the mix.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a brisk simmer and reduce until fractionally looser than cough mixture.
- Allow to cool.
- Delicious with ham.