A really simple breakfast sandwich, with a Yorkshire Breakfast sausage patty at its heart.
It is fair to say that the inspiration for this little number came straight from the World’s most famous fast-food outlet. Those golden arches providing an unlikely source of inspiration. To be fair to them, they do serve up a good breakfast menu. The difference here is that you’re using a premium sausage meat and your egg isn’t perfectly cylindrical, and nor does it have the texture of rubber. It’s basically the perfect hangover cure – wash it all down with some black coffee and things will soon be looking up.
Sausage & egg breakfast muffin
4 English muffins
4 organic eggs
whichever sauce you prefer for breakfast (HP for me)
- Separate the sausage meat into 4 and roll into balls. Then form each of the balls into a patty and press to about 1 ½ cm thick.
- Cut open the English muffins, lightly toast and then butter the inside.
- Set a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over a high heat and then place the patties in the pan. You can do this in two batches if needed. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Regulate the heat to make sure that the patties don’t burn, but rather form a nice brown crust.
- Once the patties are cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Drain a little of the fat from the pan and then return it to a medium heat. Then fry the eggs in the pan.
- Build your muffin as you desire. Mine went like this: base, HP sauce, sausage patty, fried egg, more HP sauce, lid.